I’m back at it again, friends. Yes, I failed my no-buy for 2018 about three or four months in. I learned from this failure, and feel that I have the tools I need to get through 2019. I’m doing another year long no-buy, and this time I am much better equipped! Between the WUIM Panners Facebook group and Hannah Louise Poston’s videos on Youtube, I feel that I have a number of strategies that will help me to accomplish this goal, and that I also have the online support to push me through to the end of this goal. There are a number of reasons I am doing this no-buy, and I’m going to be quite honest and candid about them.
The first is that I financially need to. When the skincare centre I previously worked at laid myself off and most of my coworkers off due to the centre’s financial predicament right after I got home from an expensive holiday, I did accumulate a fair amount of debt. It simply does not make financial sense for me to continue to purchase makeup at this frequency when it would push me further into debt. The second reason is that my makeup collection is more than enough! I recently did a thorough inventory of my makeup and skincare collection, and makeup-wise there is not one item category where I do not have duplicate or backups of some sort. I am not in need of makeup, and likely won’t be for several months. Thirdly, shopping for makeup does not make me happy. I used to get this little thrill when I would place an order, or walk out of the drugstore with a little bag of cosmetics, I really did. Now, however, I feel nothing but guilt and dread, and that moment of happiness is unimpactful and fleeting. The final reason is that I am so exhausted by this quick-release makeup industry we are now dealing with. Companies just keep cranking out collection after collection. It is exhausting to keep up, and I don’t have the desire to even attempt to keep up anymore!
A goal is meaningless without a clear idea of what the actual goal is, and the steps and rules that will get you to said goal. So, here are my set of rules and my game plan for this no-buy:
- The no-buy started December 1, 2018 and will carry on until December 31st, 2019. Once 2020 hits, I will permit myself to drop this no-buy if I so desire. Oh my god, it so strange to say 2020. It seems so far in the future, but it’s honestly only a year away!
- This no-buy includes not only makeup, but skincare, clothing, shoes, body care, and books as well.
- If I am entirely out of a necessity item (e.g. I use up every single drop of every single facial cleanser that I have in my home, or I have used up all of my mascaras, etc.) then I am permitted to purchase ONE of that item.
- Exceptions to the no buy:
–When in Toronto in March, I am allowing myself to go to the Bite Beauty Lab to create two lipsticks as per their package, as long as I finish two lip products prior to this trip.
–When in Toronto in March, I am allowing myself to purchase TWO books, permitting I finish reading 10 books or e-books that I presently have at home before this trip.
–If I gain/lose a tan as the seasons change and none of my foundations (powder or liquid) match my skin tone, I am allowed to purchase ONE foundation product.
–I will not force myself to use products if I have an allergic reaction, breakout, or if they are genuinely expired, because that is just unhealthy.
–If I need an item for my own health or for work (e.g. if I need to purchase new glasses, or if I completely wear out my work shoes) then I am allowed to purchase it.
–If by chance I receive a gift card, I’m going to use it. If I don’t, I will forget it and it will go to waste. However, I won’t spend more than what is on the card, i.e. I won’t use my own money to top up a purchase.
- I will be more mindful of the content I consume. I will follow more folks who are doing no-buys and project pans, and who actively challenge others to contemplate how and what they consume. I will unfollow pages that feed the urge to purchase new releases, or who glamorize excess.
- I will be open about my no-buy on my blog and Instagram, and seek out support from online groups doing similar projects and from friends who understand the end goal of this project. I’ll also make a thorough list of the items that I do purchase out of necessity this year, for my own personal interest.
- I will shop my stash and put away makeup for periods of time to take a break from them, and will seek out tutorials for the products that I already own.
And that about sums it up! Do you have any makeup related resolutions for the new year? Have you done a no-buy previously and do you have any advice? Are you attempting a no-buy for the new year as well? If there was enough interest from others doing year-long no buys for 2019, I would love to start up a Facebook group where folks can chat about how they are using up their makeup, reach out for support, and chat about the ups and downs of this experience. If you are doing a no-buy and this appeals to you, comment and let me know! 🙂